Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bold in 2012.

The great goggle search ::: Sports Authority ::: January 2, 2012

On January 2nd I jumped feet first into my resolutions list. 

Yes, I am that girl who writes up a three page word document full of goals for the new year. It might be dorky, but last year I typed a detailed resolutions list for the first time since I was a pre-adolescent. I found the experience empowering, as it gave me a keen sense of purpose and focus that I had not anticipated. The success of my 2011 list, prompted me to spend last week joyfully filling up another word document. I titled it, "2012". 

This brings us back to January 2nd. 

As the second day of the year arrived, I was armed with my list ready to go. I was ready to act boldly. Try something new. Face a fear. Tackle a bear. So I went swimming! 

I joined a gym in August. Each week I've been using the elliptical, attending spin class, climbing the Stair Master, and looking through the glass windows of the pool area with longing. I know how to swim. But I've never swam laps for exercise using free style form. Afraid of embarrassing myself, I've avoided the pool despite my yearning to jump in.

I knew I was being silly, but I let the fear take over for months.

On January 2nd, I recruited Chris to help me get over my fear. We headed to Sports Authority, where I bought cute pink goggles and a blue swim cap to match my Speedo.

With a small financial investment in swim gear, and Chris waiting in the third lane; I finally jumped into the pool. The experience was exhilarating. I practiced breast stroke with ease, and began experimenting with free style. My free style wasn't the greatest, but the cool therapeutic nature of the water quickly blocked any feelings of embarrassment.

I felt free. 

Lighter. 

Fear no longer choking the life out of actions.

And the possible judgement of others no longer consumed my thoughts.

Later, I flipped open my lab top. I placed a strike line through the words, "swim at least once at the gym". My first resolution of the year completed.

I grinned with pride.

I added another underneath it. 

"Swim often. @ least four times per month."
-----

Cheers to facing fears and being bold in 2012!
-Abigail

What resolutions are you diving into right away this year? How do you plan to act boldly in 2012? I would love to know, so please leave comments below!!
.


4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I think my bold move actually occurred back in December when I quit my job, but there are sure to be many more as I market my writing and build my business :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same fear! I've always wanted to swim laps around the pool, but it's the getting to the wall and pushing off again that scares me. I don't go to a gym, so I'll have to conquer that fear some other time :) This year I'm focusing on my writing habits and my novel currently in progress. And I want to move one more time in 2012! So yeah, I also have big plans for this year. Let's stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Melissa- it is so inspiring that you quit your job to try something your really passionate about!! That is def. bold!!

    @Liz- I am so glad I am not the only with the fear of the pool. And be sure to keep updating your blog about your bold moves in 2012! I'm excited to see where you move =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Werk it out lady! Those goggles look gooood. I love swimming myself, I wish I did it more often. So, feed off my jealousy and let it push you through your laps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...