Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Merry Christmas Ukrainian Orthodox!


Ukrainian Village is the current neighborhood I call home in Chicago. It's a beautiful community that maintains its rich cultural heritage, as I often share a bus stop with cute old Ukrainian women speaking their native tongue. Thursday night proved to be an exciting time here. Walking home from a blissful yoga class I passed the Sts. Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Parish. Enchanting music poured out of the church and into the street. Despite my doubts concerning the Christian faith and my ignorance to why the music was being played at 8pm on a Thursday evening, my heart was warmed by the church hymns. It almost moved me to go inside. I resisted the urge and settled for standing outside with my red Chuck Taylors firmly planted on the sidewalk for a few minutes. Later, after some time with Google, I discovered it was Christmas Eve for Christians following the Julian calendar. A calendar 13 days behind the Gregorian, the Christian calendar we traditionally follow in the US.

Merry Christmas to all my neighbors and beyond celebrating the birth of Christ this week! Thank you for making my Thursday evening walk home truly sublime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...