Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Northeast Adventure's Bits and Pieces Part 1

Chicago and I have been reunited again! I've safely made it back to the mid-west after 8 days of venturing out to the great northeast of the United States.

(If you would like to see the first few glimpses of my trip click here, here, and here.)

In total, my vacation was eight days long. But fortunately (and surprisingly) it felt more like a month.   Everyday was new. Everyday was a step away from my routine. Everyday my five senses worked overtime, creating symphonies of stimulation as I moved about unfamiliar destinations.  And like a kitchen sink sponge, I soaked in as much as I could possibly take in. 

Since leaving Maine, I've been busy. I've been busy uploading and editing photos. I've been busy using notes and memorabilia to create a more formal written account of my time away.

Below is some bits and pieces of what I've been working on.


Come and knock on our door... We've been waiting for you...
These days, trips are planned around the geographical locations of friends. My friends are ambitious and talented. They constantly seek out new adventures, and opportunities to further their education. I'm never surprised to hear of a change in living situation, or proposal for an exciting travel plan. I love this! It provides me a strong base of inspiration for my own future geographical planning. And it always challenges me. It challenges me to shake things up, and do something I've never done before.

On this particular trip, I knocked on the doors of friends in the northeast. 

In Boston my beautiful hosts were former housemates of mine from college.

Abbey was my partner in crime in Boston. Despite being busy with job interviews, she jumped on numerous buses and trains with me as I sought out the ivy at Harvard, seafood and cannolis' in the north end, and the romance of the Public Gardens near the shopping haven of Newberry street.

Michael is a busy man these days! He is currently beginning his studies at Lesley University to earn a Masters in Music Therapy. He also works part time at Whole Foods. I was glad we could fit in time to chat and catch up over dinner. Thanks for the beer Michael!


Ellen was a gracious host, sharing a bed with me for two nights and preparing a fabulous dinner with muscles cooked in a seasonal autumn beer. She also celebrated her twenty-fourth birthday during my stay. A small celebration at a local pub enabled me to meet her grad school friends from Boston College. It was nice to see she'll be in good company over the next couple years as she pursues her Masters in Divinity.


In Portland, Maine my beautiful host was a friend I made in the dorms during my first year of college (as well as her amazingly sweet boyfriend). 

Miss. Betsy Schluge showed me incredible hospitality throughout the entirety of my stay in Portland. She has a knack for pointing people in the direction of the best coffee, and the best places to find inspiration from nature and art. Despite balancing work and a busy class schedule, she found energy to knock back brews with me in the mid-afternoon, plan a camping trip, and show me the new neighborhood she'll be moving to in a few weeks via a three mile run. I am immensely grateful to have the opportunity to create new wonderful memories with such a passionate positive person.


Andy met Betsy approximately four years ago. It's been a delight witnessing a friend find a partner like Andy, where a loving committed relationship can truly blossom. A few years ago I visited Andy and Betsy at Glacier National Park, where I was able to first witness Andy's remarkable trip planning skills. My day hike up Shangri la is still one of my most memorable. 

During my Maine visit, Andy drove us out to Two Lights State Park and Fort Williams Park. These destinations graced me with Atlantic surf, crashing upon textured granite like a fourth of July fireworks show. Truly incredible!


Together...



Check back in the next few days as I post more details of my trip. Reflections upon making friends with my gluttonous spirit and true indulgence to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...