Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Lesson in Chicago History: Schaller's Pump

Open for over 125 years, "Schaller's Pump is Chicago's oldest continuously running tavern," as noted by the Chicago Bar Project. Located in the Bridgeport neighborhood, Schaller's Pump provides a small town blue collar feel without leaving the city limits. Usually a White Sox fans hot spot, my off season visit still provided a pleasurable experience. I enjoyed quiet conversation over drinks while catching an episode of Wheel of Fortune

If you're more interested in its historical elements, check out the door on the south side wall. Supposedly there is a peep hole in the door from the days of prohibition when Schaller's operated as a speakeasy.

With my first official visit to Schaller's behind me, I'm excited to patronize the tavern again among Chicago's boisterous White Sox fans. Hopefully my return trip is in conjunction with my first baseball game at Comiskey Park!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...